Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I'm happier than Mo Vaughn


















If you came here for something witty, just click the X in the top right hand corner. Bitches.

*I have plenty of topics to touch on that I had to put on the backburner after yesterday's unfortunate news. The first of which is my standing in regards to graduation.

As you may or may not know, it was brought to my attention at the beginning of the semester that I would likely not be allowed to graduation following my student teaching, because I did not satisfy several requirements related to classwork.

I was disappointed, and actually, quite surprised. I was under the impression that I had, indeed, satisfied all the criteria and was on schedule to earn my Master's on December 10.

Yesterday I had a quick visit with my advisor, who gave me the news:

I will graduate on December 10.

I have no shame in admitting I cried on the way home in my car. It's been 6 1/2 years of schooling - and one hell of a semester of student teaching - and I was just overwhelmed to have finally reached the end.

Thank you to everyone who helped me get here.

*I also had my final supervised teaching day today, in which I thoroughly impressed my supervisor - Dr. Schneider. After teaching a class of 38 students, Dr. Schneider only had two words for me.

"You're ready."

*The WVU men's basketball team got back to its winning ways with a 5-point victory over St. Bonaventure. It wasn't pretty, but neither am I, and I consider myself a winner.

*If I haven't mentioned it before, nothing is better than a Mike Gansey lay-up. Owen Schmitt runs come close, but only because its more drawn out.

A distant third: Patrick Beilein 3's.

*Ryan McNeil seemed to have some beef with my premature declaration in handing the NL East to the New York Mets. You know what, it's justified.

I hate hype. And the Mets have been down this road before, when Steve Phillips acquired Mo Vaughn and Roberto Alomar a couple years back.

The Braves will always be contender, especially with their core of players.

What brought me back down to earth? In addition to McNeil's comments, the signing of Billy Wagner. Giving a hefty, 4-year contract to a 34 year old closer is the type of contract and free-spending that got the Mets into trouble in years past.

Their lineup may be potent, but they have to spend wisely.

*Kudos to J.P. Riccardi on misspending the most money this offseason, giving BJ Ryan more than $1 million for each career save. Genius.

*If you haven't heard this doozie, there are rumors circulating that Bob Huggins - a WVU grad - may be interested in coaching basketball inside the state, but at the state's redheaded stepchild University, Marshall.

I guess its plausible, but not likely, depending on how desperate each party is. I'd love to see Marshall resort to hiring a Mountaineer to lead them out of the depths of hell.

The laugher of this rumor is the notion that OJ Mayo, Bill Walker and Perry Patterson would then bolt for Huntington.

God help us all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home