Friday, October 01, 2004

Kerry-Bush Debate

Well, the dust has settled.

I waited a day before posting my initial impressions of the first of three presdential debates between Senator John Kerry and President George W. Bush.

Understanding that my position as a Kerry supporter will likely paint my words as nothing more than blind support, I just was left with very unimpressed feeling by Bush's performance.

Kerry did most of what I wanted him to do. He was strong, confident and painted an image that he too would be strong and unwavering in the war on terrorism, no matter where that war led our country. I think he made believers out of a few undecided voters, and like me, made his already decided voters a little more confident in him as commander in chief.

Bush, on the other hand, left a lot to be desired to me. Keep in mind that while I'm watching Bush, critiquing his answers, I'm doing so with the belief that there is a good chance he will be our president for 4 more years. I don't want it to happen, but Kerry needs to do a lot to overcome Bush and take office. Therefore, I'm just as interested in Bush, not for what he will say that may help or hurt Kerry, but because I want to know what he will do, or won't do, or will do differently if he is our president again.

Right now, I'm just a little disappointed.

Bush seemed to regurgotate the same tired phrases over and over, without ever directly answering questions, while seeming arrogant and stubborn when discussing possible mistakes or misjudgements during his 4 years in office. This is not what I wanted to see.

So today, just over a month away from the election, I'm a little nervous. I believe in John Kerry more than ever, but also, I believe in Bush less than ever. That scares me.

It scares me that I feel less safe than I did 4 years ago when he took office. It scares me that the economy is as poor as it is. It scares me that I chose to go to graduate school because I was unsuccessful in finding a job. It scares me that the rich seem to be getting rich, and the poor getting poorer. It scares me that my Dad can't find a job, and may simply retire early. It scares me that my little sister couldn't find a job, and came back to school. It scares me that the world at large seems to be more threatening to the US than ever. It scares me that the deficit continues to expand out of sight, that domestic issues such as education keep getting ignored.

And, most of all, it scares me that we have a leader that is too strong in his convictions to simply say he was wrong. A man that seems to use prayer, religion and his trust in God to manipulate the American people to believe that everything will be all right if we have 4 more years than this.

My friends who support Bush, I love you to death. I know you believe in the man for certain reasons, and I respect that. I know you feel safer with him, and I respect that.

I know because 4 years ago I was in the same boat. I was a Bush supporter. I wanted him to defeat Gore.

I voted for him.

I won't make the same mistake again.

Less than 24 hours till Virginia Tech
Song of the day: Frou Frou "Let go"


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home